The Website Has Moved

Attention! The Bark Online Has moved locations. Please Click on the link below to view the new website.

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Feature Teacher: Mr. Lounds

Article Written by: Jessica Allen '13
Mr. Lounds is a relatively new teacher to ERHS, but he would, “love spending the rest of my teaching experience at Eaton Rapids.” In his short career of three years, he has taught Geometry, Algebra 1, English 9, 10, 11, & 12, Journalism, and Summer School. Of those, his favorite classes are Geometry and English 12 because, “I love the logic and practical application of Geometry and the mature discussion of literature in English 12.” He attended Baker College of Owosso for 5 years, majoring in Mathematics and minoring in English.
“I became a teacher because I wanted to be in a profession where I could impact the future generations,” says Lounds. “My mom actually convinced me to go to college to be a teacher, when I planned on taking a year off. If I had, I don’t know how many more years that would have turned into. My mom is definitely the person I admire the most because she dedicated her life to helping me succeed. Her example of sacrifice and caring for others is a big part of who I am today.” If he hadn’t become a teacher, Mr. Lounds wanted to be an engineer because, “I like to build things.”
This year Mr. Lounds has taken on a new challenge, as the monitor of the ZAP after-school program. ZAP (Zeroes Aren’t Permitted) is a new program intended to improve freshmen success at ERHS; 9th grade students who do not turn in an assignment or come to class unprepared are required to call their parents and stay after school that day to complete their work. Lounds’ countless hours have helped many freshmen be successful this year.
Last year, Lounds helped coach the JV Girls Basketball team. “My favorite part about coaching is teaching the fundamentals and getting to know students on a deeper level than just the classroom,” says Mr. Lounds.
Lounds was a part of the recent baby boom at the high school, and now has a two-year-old son, Nolan, and a 9 week old daughter, Kinsley and has been married to his wife, Mallorie, for almost four years. “My hobbies include reading, writing, around the house projects, playing and watching sports, and being with my family,” he says. Perhaps one of the most interesting facts about him is that Lounds was homeschooled.
Even though he hasn’t been at Eaton Rapids High School very long, Mr. Lounds has made an immense impact on students of all grades and staff members.

No comments:

Post a Comment