The Website Has Moved

Attention! The Bark Online Has moved locations. Please Click on the link below to view the new website.

Thursday, December 16, 2010

Feature Teacher: Mr. Jackson

Written by: Jessica Allen '13
             For the past 20 years, Mr. Jackson has been teaching at ERHS, where he has been available to students for extra help, tutoring, and even counseling. He always has a story or interesting joke to tell in order to brighten a child’s day.
             The need for unique experiences drove Mr. Jackson toward becoming a teacher. “I switched from the paint industry to teaching because as hyper as I am, I couldn’t do the same thing every day. Teaching has allowed me to have different interests. And I like that I’m always meeting new people, the students and classrooms are ever changing.” Jackson teaches because he likes interacting with all kinds of people and helping students learn while having fun.
             During his career, Mr. Jackson has taught Chemistry, Physics, and Physical Science. “Although I like all my classes, my favorite class to teach would have to be chemistry because it’s fun for me to make something difficult to get, easy for kids to understand.” Even teachers like Mr. Smith, Mr. Debow, Mr. Fransen, and Mrs. Surato studied under Mr. Jackson during their high school experience.
            He has a Bachelor’s of Science in Chemistry, Master’s of Science Teaching, and a Teaching Certification from MSU and LCC, where he spent 3 years at each. “My favorite class in college was probably chemistry because I became very close friends with my professor. We have gone on many outdoor trips together,” says Jackson.
           In his free time, Mr. Jackson goes camping, fishing, backpacking, bicycling, and anything that involves enjoying the outdoors with his family. He has a wife, two sons, and two daughters, each set 10 years apart.
           Mr. Jackson also coaches the boys swim team. “I like swimming because it’s an individual and team-oriented sport. You could do not so hot, but your team can still win. It also works the other way around, your team could lose but you could have swum your best time. I like that outstanding swimmers can be recognized and awarded for their hard work.”
           The person who has inspired him the most is Jesus Christ or “J.C.” as he has been nicknamed. “I admire J.C. because I’ve seen the most rewards by hanging out with him.” Mr. Jackson has a whole book full of stories, literally. His book, Encountering the Kingdom, is filled with real-life experiences of his life. There are stories about God, demons, and his life as a preacher. So far, 500 copies have been sold. You can pick one up in his room for $5, or online at www.windingroadminitries.com.
           Mr. Jackson is a man full of stories, life experiences, and jokes. He always has others high on his priority list and is a great mentor for his students. Even kids he doesn’t know receive a hello from him in the halls, teaching them that kindness can take you very far.

No comments:

Post a Comment